To follow the post on Ezra’s big boy Christmas list, we are going to share the main items on Lucas’ Christmas list this year. I love hearing about what they desire to have. It is so telling of their personality.
One story that makes me smile is from a few days ago. We receive many toy catalogues in the mail this time of year. We received a new one a few afternoons ago and Lucas quickly went to flipping through it hoping to see something interesting. He quickly tossed it aside proclaiming “I don’t want anything out of there, it is all just plastic toys!”
My heart was so happy to hear these words. I have been spending the last year (since beginning our journey Waldorf homeschooling) weeding out and getting rid of the plastic toys in our home. We decided a few things were ok, especially if they were quality, like Legos. But other than that we try very much to buy natural materials for Lucas.
When he began public school in the fall I was concerned the commercialism would worm its way back in and he would be drawn to the plastic cartoon oriented toys. I am so glad to see that is not the case! He loves his wooden toys. He says they last longer and are more fun to play with. His list consists very much of lovely Waldorf approved toys, with out my push at all! He just desires quality over quantity now.
Here is his wish list!
1. Playsilks- Lucas received his first set of playsilks last Christmas in his stocking. I wasn’t sure how they would be received or if he would know how to use them. He did! He uses them imaginatively while pretend playing, making rivers or fields or wrapping them around items. He quickly added playsilks to his list this year asking for larger ones than he has. (These ones are HERE)
2. A wooden castle. He had a pretty yucky plastic castle that made noises and began falling apart. He likes to play pretend with his little gnomes and men with castles boats and his gnome treehouse. A wooden castle would be something we know would get a lot of action. (This one HERE)
3. Beatrix Potter Books- I have a few Beatrix Potter books from my childhood that Lucas loves. Somehow the rest of the set never made it through all those years. I would love to build him a little Beatrix Potter library. He seems to enjoy the stories about the little animal characters. So far The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin seems to be his favorite. (Find them HERE)
4. Wooden animals- He loves his woodland animals from last years Advent Calendar. He also received some wooden dinosaurs for his birthday. He is hoping to get more wooden animals, like horses for his pretend play. Holztiger animals HERE
5. Budkins- If you have not heard of Budkins and you have small children, you must go check them out. They have all kinds of little characters. We are looking at the pirates and the knights, but they have all sorts for any sort of play your child enjoys! (THese HERE)
6. Wooden Pirate Ship- this is what he says he is asking Santa for this year. He really wants a lovely wooden pirate ship to play with. He likes to create little worlds with his playsilks, gnome tree house, and little men. I think a wooden ship would fit in perfectly to his games. (Find it HERE)
7. Grimms Element Stacker- He has a handmade rainbow stacker from last year. This year he says he wants the “cave” as he calls it. There are all sorts of things one can do with little stackers! HERE
I am so happy we have a lovely toy store in our town that specializes in quality toys. We have been able to find much of what we need locally this year rather than doing shopping online. I really am pleased that not only can we buy quality but we can buy locally!