This April I signed up to do something that at the time seemed a little crazy. Myself along with about twenty others from my gym formed a team and signed up to run the 2014 Warrior Dash. (You can go to their site to see if they have one in your area)
Here I am pre-race, a little nervous!
I stole some of the pictures from their site to illustrate some of what the race entailed. It was three miles with eleven fun obstacles.
It was one of the most exciting things I have done in awhile. I left the race feeling exhilarated and empowered.
The entire town area was set up to celebrate the warrior dash. They had live music playing all day and into the evening.
The run was mostly fun, jogging along, climbing over stuff, through mud and laughing along the way. There were a few hairy spots but I never felt in danger. The Warrior Dash is what they call a fun run. (There are more intense competive ones like The Spartan Race, The Tough Mudder etc.)
I am so glad I had this experience and I think I may even have Paul talked into running it with me next year!
Here are a few tips for anyone thinking of running a fun mud run.
1. Bring a plastic bag for your clothes after the race or to sit on in your car. They have rinse off stations at the finish line but it isn’t enough to get all the muck off.
2. Check a bag. They have bag check areas where you can keep a bag with our phone,money and change of clothes. This was very convenient.
3. The tall socks I am wearing in the picture were not only cute but functional. They SAVED my shins going over some of those walls.
4. Go with friends. At one point my buddy had to give me a hand up over one of the walls and I was very thankful for it!
5. Don’t wear shoes that you won’t want to part with. They take all the muddy shoes and donate them to charity. Trust me, you won’t want to deal with washing them after that! So back to number 2, bring shoes in your bag that you check.
6. Sunscreen! I didn’t wear any sunscreen. The race was at a higher elevation at a ski resort so I got scorched. Ouch!
Hope you are having a fun summer also!